For nearly seven years St James’s Piccadilly, has stood roofless and ruined, a poignant reminder of the air attacks of the “Big Blitz” winter of 1940-41.
A portion of the south aisle was temporarily repaired so that services could be held; and last year, as the result of a suggestion made by the late Lord Southwood, the churchyard was made into a garden of remembrance to commemorate London’s fortitude during the war.
Repair work will shortly start on the north wall, which has become unsafe. St. James’s Grinling Gibbons carvings include the font at which Lord Chesterfield and Lord Chatham were christened; and among the well-known men buried there are the two Willem Van de Veldes (marine painters), Gillray the caricaturist and “Old Q.,” the fourth Duke of Queensberry”
Address: St James's Church
Piccadilly Circus and Green Park We are on or near these 'bus routes
3/6/9/12/13/14/15/19/22/23/ 88/94/138/139/159 |
The Church itself and the Churchyard are accessible to wheelchairs. The Rectory, Church Hall and Garden are not.
Ramped access is in place from both the Piccadilly and the Jermyn Street entrances.
We have plans to provide full access to all parts of the church. In the meantime we encourage anyone with any physical disability which limits mobility to contact us (see below) to discuss what provision can be made for specific events.
An induction loop operates in the Church, the Church Hall and the Meeting Room.
The order of service for the Sunday 11am Eucharist is available in an enlarged A3 version.