Marine Avenue, NE26 1LZ WHITLEY BAY
Set in the heart of wartime Britain, The Songs That Won The War features “The D-Day Darlings”.
More information ...
Best Seat Booking
You select the price – we select the best available seats
- Information for ticket selection.
- * The price to attend the event, where displayed, includes the ticket price plus, where applicable, booking fee and Venue Restoration Levy. Additional per transaction charges, ranging from £2.50 for standard mail to £12.50 for Secure International Delivery apply.
- Standard Mail - Tickets are sent First Class post to the UK only
- Registered Mail - Tickets are sent Royal Mail Special Delivery in the UK only.
- Secure International Delivery - Tickets shipped to customers outside the UK
- Venue Collection
The story begins as we hear the declaration of war speech on the wireless and the Darlings bid goodbye to their lifelong friend John as he packs up his troubles and goes to fight for his country. Before John leaves he sees an advertisement in The Times newspaper from ENSA and promises to write in and tell them about the wonderful “D-Day Darlings”. Could this be their big break? As the story unfolds we see the Darlings at home, working hard to keep the spirits of the nation bright with their songs and supporting the homeland. John returns from the army with the news the Darlings have been waiting for - a request for them to perform in the “Greatest Show on Earth” for our forces around the world!
The story is pieced together with a plethora of the most popular and beautiful music of the 1940’s wartime era featuring songs by Vera Lynn, Gracie Fields, Bing Crosby, The Andrew Sisters, Frank Sinatra and more. With a series of authentic costume changes to add that authentic 40’s glamour and a dazzling back drop of original film footage from the era, the show brings the spirit of wartime Britain alive and brings back fond memories for all.