The Troxy was designed by George Coles, the architect of many art deco cinemas in London. It featured a revolving stage, Wurlitzer organ and opulent decor with chandeliers and large sweeping staircases. It opened in 1933, and with 3,520 seats was one of England's largest cinemas at the time. As well as showing films, it hosted live performances by popular artists such as Vera Lynn, Clark Gable and the Andrews Sisters.
As a result of wartime damage and the subsequent general decline of the area, the cinema closed in November 1960.
The London Opera Centre, a former school for the training of opera singers and professionals, was based there between 1963 and 1977.
It was given protection as a Grade II listed building in 1990. Mecca then used it as a bingo hall until 2006.
It now serves as a flexible venue for events including concerts, weddings, conferences and exhibitions. It also hosts mixed martial arts events, which includes top British promotion Ultimate Challenge MMA. It accommodates up to 2,600 people depending on the type of event.